Thursday, January 21, 2016

Recombinant DNA Lab Conclusion

In this lab we made Recombinant DNA out of strips of paper. We created the plasmid out of blue colored paper, and the strand of DNA and insulin gene out of a pink strip. Lastly we had a bunch of yellow squares of paper that were our restriction enzymes. One plasmid I made was resistant to kanamycin. I didn't use the ones that were resistant to ampicillin or tetracycline.After I figured out what my plasmid was going to be, I then made the long strand of DNA. I went through the list of restriction enzymes, I only found one that could perform the cut. After I figured out what worked, I cut everything out and attached it all together.
Which antibiotics could you use in your petri dishes to see if the bacteria have taken in your plasmid? Why? Which antibiotics would you not use? Why? 
You could use whatever you would want to; however, it really depends on your goal. You would only want to use the plasmid that your bacteria is resistant to. If you feed tetracycline to bacteria that is resistant to ampicillin, then the bacteria would basically die. 
What are restriction enzymes and how do they work? Which one did you use and why? 
A restriction enzyme basically cuts the DNA or splits it a certain way. It will always cut it the same way too. The way it works is it attaches itself to the actual DNA. I used AVA because it properly split my plasmid/DNA.
What would happen if you used an enzyme that cut the plasmid in two places? 
The plasmid would get a lot shorter. This would be pretty bad because you loose all that important information, and the recombinant DNA would be really small like HPA or ASP.
How do you think this process is important in our everyday life? 
I think that the most significant importance is helping us become immune to certain things. This is an essential process needed to survive, so we don't keep getting sick over the same thing over and over again.
How else could this process be used (be creative!) or search online to find current technologies using recombinant DNA?
I think the most interesting thing is glowing animals. Supposedly there are glowing sheep, bunnies, pigs, marmosets, beagle, cats, and fish. This is only when they are exposed to some form of UV light.

No comments:

Post a Comment